I had a couple of people ask me what would I do with extra herbs. I quickly spouted off a couple of things just to answer, but later realized that my answer was incomplete at best. I have created a short video showing you a couple of things you can do. I have also thoughtfully (LOL!) created a list of ideas for you below.
And here is a timely post on the parsley sauce I mention in the video. Guess I should give it a go now that I have mentioned it twice.
- Chop them up and add them to salads
- Add them to sautéed veggies
- Make a compound butter
- Dry them in a low oven and freeze them in a freezer bag. Refill your spice jars as needed
- Grate/chop them and store with oil in a jar
- Buy herbs with a root base that you can keep alive and only use as you need them
- Blended with a dash of oil and freeze in an ice cube tray. This creates cubes that are about 1 Tablespoon worth. I popped my out and into a freezer bag to be used in recipes at a later date
- Add them to a simple syrup to make the base for home-made sodas. Or better yet, cocktails!
- Make them into a jam. I used my rosemary-thyme jam with a pork loin on the BBQ – Delish!!
- Look for recipes that use similar herbs. For example, Thai curry and pesto will both use basil
- Get creative! What application could you come up with that would use up the herbs before they go bad?
- Start your own herb garden and just cut what you need!
If you would like recipes or more ideas for what I have mentioned here, just let me know.