I have rediscover how easy it is to get completely sidetracked by all that is “the holidays.” I have been cooking and cooking and cooking, but have very little to show for it on the blog. Makes me feel even more behind on my to-do list. Damned list!

Anyway… I have been, as usual, making up new ways to use up leftovers. With Thanksgiving behind us, that means turkey, among other things. While we usually do the turkey mole my husband makes, this year I wanted to see if we could put it to another use. I specifically wanted to make breakfast. Not what you would normally think of when talking leftover turkey, but it actually worked out.

I made two versions of what I am calling Rancho Benedict. It is my take on a spicy, rustic-style benedict. I used leftover Scottish Oat rolls and the unused cibatta bread that remained from my fresh-bread stuffing. I threw in some bacon to go with the turkey. Sort of a club sandwich meets benedict. I also made a pork tenderloin earlier in the week and had some of that to use up. I topped both versions with perfectly poached eggs and a spicy hollandaise sauce that included a healthy dash of Kolander’s The Ghost BBQ Sauce. I served both with some fruit to help cut the spice and the richness of it. They were both delish, but I personally liked the pork version best. Sorry turkey!

Steph’s Spicy Hollandaise Sauce
3 egg yolks
2 sticks butter, melted
juice from one lemon
1 T. Kolander Grubb’s The Ghost BBQ Sauce

It is important that you have your mis en place for this recipe, as it will move quickly in the preparation. In the bowl of a blender, blend eggs until combined. With the blender running, add in the butter in a slow, steady stream. It will begin to emulsify. Stop and scrape down the sides. Turn the blender back on and add the lemon juice and the BBQ sauce. Blend just until combined. Scrape down the sides and taste for seasoning. You may want to add a pinch of Kosher salt or more BBQ sauce at this stage. I like mine spicy, but I make my sauce so that it appeals to all. This can be refrigerated in an air-tight container and reheated in the microwave. To reheat, place in a glass bowl on high for 10 seconds. Stir and give it another 10 seconds. That should do it. It will separate if you put it in any longer and if you don’t break the time up with a stir. Trust me on this!

Bon appétit!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s